Types of Library Standards
Five categories of library standards are described in this section including:
- those for the exchange of catalogue records, e.g MARC21
- those to describe and provide access to library resources, e.g. AACR2
- controlled vocabularies used to provide authorised terms for name, subject, geographic etc. headings,e.g. MESH
- classification schemas to organise collections e.g. Dewey Decimal Classification
- Holdings, e.g ANSI/NISO Z39.71 Holdings Statements for Bibliographic Items
Each category contains a short explanation, a general guiding principle, lists international standards and national standards and National Union Catalogue requirements.